You know that feeling when you’re stuck in a cooking rut? You cook the same thing every day using the same ingredients and your taste buds become numb. This is made worse when you’re on a restricted diet because there are so many things sold outside that are not good for your health.
As such it’s important to experiment once in a while with new recipes. I’ve only made sweet muffins so when I chanced upon this savoury muffin – containing cheese, eggs and bacon, I knew I had to try it.
These savoury muffins were really delicious, with a rich fatty taste from the bacon and saltiness from the cheese. When I handed them around, the comments ranged from “Great breakfast food!” to “These would make great canapés or starters!” I liked that I made small muffins because then they were easy to pop into the mouth.
The recipe is adapted from Cheeseslave.
Makes 6 big muffins or 14 small ones (like above in the photo).
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Baking time: 18 minutes
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp bacon drippings
- 3 tbsp coconut flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 8 strips bacon
- 1/2 cup (4 oz) cheese (I used Camembert cheese)
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees celcius.
2. Fry bacon in a pan until crispy. Set aside. Keep the oil.
3. Blend eggs, bacon drippings in a mixing bowl.
4. Add coconut flour and baking powder — mix until there are no lumps.
5. Chop up the bacon and shred the cheese. Stir into batter.
7. Pour batter into muffin tin (with grease if you are not using silicon bake ware) and bake for 18 minutes.
These muffins contain only 1 gram of carb per muffin so it would be amazing for people on low-carb diets!
Coconut flour and other paleo baking ingredients can be found here.