Fancy a healthy home-made ice-cream? Healthy and ice-cream do not have to be mutually exclusive. I’ve made this recipe twice now and I like how I can use overripe avocados to make a dessert. This recipe also uses coconut milk so it’s good for the lactose intolerant. I don’t have an ice-cream maker so I use my blender.
The ingredients are as below to get slightly less than 2 litres of ice-cream. Use half the ingredients if you prefer less ice-cream.
- 2 ripe avocados
- 800 ml coconut milk
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons of maple syrup (more if you prefer a sweeter taste)
- 1 cup water
1. Place the avocados, coconut milk, maple syrup and water in the blender. Blend for 30 seconds or until smooth.
2. Add the cocoa powder into the mix. Blend for another 20 seconds.
3. Pour the mixture into any container you like
4. Let the ice-cream freeze for a few hours. Don’t do what I did and take the ice-cream out after one hour. The ice-cream turned out less firm that I would have liked. The subsequent batches were better because they were fully frozen. Leave them to thaw for about five minutes before tucking into the rich goodness.
And voila, a simple and nutritious dessert to feed your tummy and soul.